i was at my local organic market today and i saw these fresh figs from across the room. we connected immediately and i couldn’t resist their temptation so i took them home with me.
there are so many reasons to love figs. here are a few
- they’re high in potassium which helps blood pressure.if you eat a high salt diet it’s a good likelihood that you could be potassium deficient. try less salt and more figs.
- figs are a good source of dietary fiber which helps with maintaining a healthy weight
- higher consumption of fruit fiber help protect against breast cancer
- they protect against macular degeneration
- get this…the fig leaf is used as a natural remedy for diabetes and when used medicinally has proven to have an insulin lowering effect.
on sunday i had a similar encounter as the one described above. i saw these red anjou pears across the way and had to have them.
i love the sweetness, texture, color and pretty much everything about these pears.
here’s why you should love them too
- they provide crazy antioxidant and anti-inflammatory support
- they help protect against cancer
- they help to reduce risks of type 2 diabetes and heart disease
- pears are easily digestible and support healthy digestion
so when i bought those delicious figs and thought about those scrumptious pears a recipe just popped into my mind. i think..i mean, i know, this was meant to be.
pear and fresh fig salad with cinnamon crusted walnuts and feta
here’s how the recipe goes.
1 organic anjou pear
3-4 fresh organic figs
organic spring mix
organic feta cheese
- add a little olive oil to pan and turn stove to medium heat
- add 1/2 cup walnuts to heated oil
- sprinkle a tspn of cinnamon on walnuts
- cook until walnuts are browned a bit on the outsides
have i told you why you should love walnuts and cinnamon?
walnuts – anti-inflammatory, supports healthy bones, treatment for diabetes, anti-cancer effects
cinnamon – well, there are so many i thought you might want to read about them here
5. slice pears
6. slice figs
7. add all ingredients to organic spring mix
8. top with feta cheese (can be omitted if dairy intolerant) and olive oil/balsamic vinaigrette
these flavors, textures and colors together are perfect harmony to the senses.
eat, enjoy, be well, share with someone you love, use the same fork, if you love good food it will love you back.
much love Shawnee